Physical and mental relaxation is an art that can be mastered only through practice, and nobody acquires more strength than he who manages to completely control himself. This is the objective of relaxation exercises.
Conditions for relaxation
Relaxation requires the fulfilment of several conditions:
- Find a quiet place to be alone. Silence is necessary for relaxation and mental peacefulness. Also, it stimulates the connection with the self.
- Choose, if possible, a natural environment: the blue sky and the green fields offer the most relaxing colors.
- A dark or shadowy place protects us from the distraction caused by light. Strong light can penetrate through our eyelids even if we keep our eyes closed.
- Avoid being too hot or too cold, as both these situations keep you from focusing.
In order to achieve it, you need to follow the steps below:
- Take off or loosen any piece of garment that might keep your body tight: belt, collar, tie, shoes, etc.
- Lie down on a firm surface; the surface shouldn’t be too hard or too soft. A carpet is ideal.
- Lie on your back, with your legs slightly apart and your arms lying alongside your body.
- Close your eyes keeping your eyelids relaxed, and remain still.
- Think about each of the muscles in your body and successively focus your attention on each one in turn, relieving any tension that might have accumulated in them.